From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for November
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 08:45:23
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > If you have something you'd wish for us to chat about, maybe even
3 > vote on, let us know ! Simply reply to this e-mail for the whole
4 > Gentoo dev list to see.
5 >
6 I appreciate that many will be against this idea, but I'd still like to
7 discuss it: a binary repository for gentoo.
8
9 Yes, I know gentoo is a meta-distro. And that there isn't loads of bandwidth.
10 That's easily got round. The main problem I see is USE flags (devs already
11 compile with standard C-flags right?) but I was thinking about standardising
12 for 2 or 3 types of network- SOHO, medium and large enterprise (eg for LDAP
13 etc) would solve most cases. We can always tag pkgs with USE flags.
14
15 If gentoo is still serious about enterprise adoption, it needs a binary repo
16 (so we can avoid system breakage) which would of course be a little bit
17 behind. I'd be happy to contribute time, as I'm sure many other users would.
18
19 As to why I don't just do it myself, I think it's a bit silly to duplicate the
20 compile that devs do anyway.
21
22 There are, after all, other nice things about gentoo besides compiling from
23 source, which would always remain a choice.
24
25 I'm more interested in practical objections than philosophical debates, but as
26 ever it's your free speech :)
27 --
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list