From: Stefan Schweizer <genstef@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Making dobin, doexe, doins, doman, dodoc die by default
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 17:48:38
1 Hi,
2
3 This came up in Bug 138792 [dobin etc. should automatically die on failure]
4 It needs more discussion on the mailing lists.
5 Some excerpts from the bug: The proposal from Paul Bredbury:
6 "Hi, I propose that the following ebuild commands themselves *die* on
7 failure, because the vast majority of the time the emerge might as well be
8 considered a failure if such commands fail.
9 dobin, dosbin, doexe"
10
11 Jason Stubbs called for consistency .. i.e making doman and dodoc also die
12 when nothing the file does not exist. A simple workaround in case an ebuild
13 is broken: [ -f xxx ] && dodoc xxx
14
15 SpanKY complained that he cannot set a custom die message then. But this is
16 not needed here, since every do* command can be clearly identified by the
17 argument and the directory it will be installed to.
18 Also as Paul suggested something like that would be possible for a custom
19 die message:
20 if [[ -n "${DIE_MSG}" ]] ; then
21 echo "!!! ${DIE_MSG}"
22 fi
23
24 So, because we want no broken ebuilds and we want consistency I propose to
25 change this and fix possible problems. They are imo QA problems and should
26 be fixed.
27
28 So what do you think?
29