From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] fixing LICENSE issues without reporting bugs
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 15:32:55
1 On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > The key words are "serious" or "contact from the copyright holder."
3
4 Sorry - revise that a little:
5 1. Serious and they don't get a timely response from the maintainer
6 (or licenses@g.o).
7 or
8 2. Contact from the copyright holder.
9
10 The intent isn't to make anybody wait for permission to fix licensing
11 issues, but rather to get the maintainer involved so that we make the
12 best decision possible, while ensuring that we aren't subject to legal
13 risk or unnecessarily hard feelings if a maintainer isn't available
14 for serious issues.
15
16 The Trustees don't need to be intimately involved in every issue, but
17 everybody does need to know that we're around if needed. If we're
18 actually contacted by a copyright holder I suggested copying us since
19 I think that raises the bar legally - whether the note comes from a
20 lawyer or not we're essentially on notice and a timely response would
21 be expected by a court.
22
23 Rich