From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo LTS or: proper backward compatibility?
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2023 18:39:37
1 Hi,
2
3 m1027 wrote:
4 > So, what we've thought of so far is:
5 >
6 > (1) Keeping outdated developer boxes around and compile there. We
7 > would freeze portage against accidental emerge sync by creating a
8 > git branch in /var/db/repos/gentoo. This feels hacky and requires a
9 > increating number of develper VMs. And sometimes we are hit by a
10 > silent incompatibility we were not aware of.
11 ..
12 > (5) Inventing a full fledged OTA Gentoo OS updater and distribute
13 > that together with the apps... Nah.
14 >
15 > Hm... Comments welcome.
16
17 I recommend taking ownership (and responsibility) of your OS.
18
19 Gentoo tooling (catalyst) is really fantastic for doing so.
20
21 Essentially you will be maintaining a private fork of gentoo.git, but
22 one where you only really need to manually process the packages you
23 care to control, only when you care to control them.
24
25 Use catalyst to build tarballs (and binpkgs) from snapshots of that repo.
26
27 emerge can install binpkg at least from FTP.
30 //Peter