From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] net-im/aim masked for removal
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 15:54:17
1 * John Myers <electronerd@×××××××××××××.net> schrieb:
2 > On Wednesday 02 August 2006 16:12, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
3 > > * Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> schrieb:
4 > > > I've masked net-im/aim, AOL's proprietary offering. It hasn't seen a
5 > > > release in years, it's binary-only, and it's far less capable than any
6 > > > other client out there.
7 > >
8 > > BTW: could be introduce an separate (optional) masking method
9 > > for such proprietary stuff ?
10 > >
11 > I believe (don't have time to check right now) you'll want to
12 > look into ACCEPT_LICENSE
13
14 Not necessarily. Licenses are not the only reason why someone
15 likes to kick off binary-only packages. Also matters of stability,
16 binary compatibility performance, etc.
17
18 For example an statically-linked package (not compiled by gentoo devs)
19 can introduce stability issues on hardly optimized systems, ie.
20 libc w/o old ABIs, trimmed calling convention (enforced register passing),
21 etc, etc. There're lots of things which can be optimized that break
22 the ABIs. Binary-Only packages have a large risk of failing here.
23
24 As an power-user (whom I have to be to know how to actually use
25 these optimizations ;-)) I'd like to have a switch to kick 'em off
26 or at least let emerge warn me.
29 cu
30 --
32 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
34 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
35 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
36 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
37 http://patches.metux.de/
39 --
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list