From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev-ng? (Was: Summary Council meeting Tuesday 13 November 2012)
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 01:09:40
1 On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 09:08:52AM -0800, Greg KH wrote
2
3 > Again, any specific pointer to a commit in the tree that caused this?
4
5 See http://wiki.gentoo.org/index.php?title=Udev/upgrade&redirect=no
6 Comments?
7
8 > Since this version udev depends on files in /usr. If you have /usr
9 > on a separate partition, you must boot your system with an initramfs
10 > which pre-mounts /usr.
11
12 I understand that one option being considered is patching the build to
13 not depend on files in /usr. Showing my age here, I remember when IBM
14 patched Windows 3.1 on-the-fly, to make it a DPMI client of OS/2. MS
15 released Windows 3.11, which vas very slightly different, and the patch
16 broke. IBM had to rush out a new patch.
17
18 Given how cavalierly Kay & Lennart broke firmware driver loading, I
19 would not envy the Gentoo ebuild maintainer trying to keep udev
20 compatable with a separate /usr, especially given Lennart's
21 pronouncement about standalone udev being "a dead end". The maintainer
22 will face a task similar in principle to what IBM was doing. What
23 Richard Yao is doing is the udev equivalant of "jump off before you get
24 pushed off".
27 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
28 We are apparently better off trying to avoid udev like the plague.
29 Linus Torvalds; 2012/10/03 https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/3/349