From: Marc Giger <gigerstyle@×××.ch>
To: Patrick Lauer <gentoo@×××××××××××××.de>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Programming advice wanted?
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 21:49:23
1 On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 21:36:01 +0100
2 Patrick Lauer <gentoo@×××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > Offlist to keep the noise down.
5 >
6 > On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 21:17, Marc Giger wrote:
7 >
8 > > I really don't understand what people have against Java?!? Is it
9 > > because of Sun and its license?
10 > Not only that, there are different not fully compatible JVM's around.
11
12 Hehe, that's the reason why Sun is so conservative with the license.
13 They tried to avoid the incompatibilites.
14
15 > Performance tends to be bad to very bad (unless the programmer knows
16 > obscure details about Java)
17
18 That's not true, anyway not on applications without a GUI. A little
19 bit background knowlegde isn't bad. You will write better programs!
22 > > I have many years of experience in java programming and also learned
23 > > object oriented programming with it. In my opinion it's good and
24 > > clean.
25
26 > In my opinion it is ugly and bloated, but that's subjective and
27 > therefore not useful in a discussion.
28 >
29 > > How many other languages do you know, which works on multiple
30 > > platforms without recompiling, run as a plugin in browsers, has deep
31 > > security concept built in (sandbox, bytecode verifier, etc),
32 > > multithreading as a basic language feature, exception handling,
33 > > RPC/RMI, etc etc etc ...
34 > Python ? ;-)
35 > Most of the "script" languages (Parl, Python, Ruby, ...) have most of
36 > these features without the mad syntax of Java (static public int main
37 > (void) or something like that ... That's mad!)
38
39 Python seems to be a nice language, but I think it isn't comparable with
40 Java. It would never come in my mind to write a server app in Python.
41
42 Mad syntax? Why? I think this is the right way to allow (or protect)
43 data. Do you know the C++ syntax? "friends" and Co, that's ugly.
44 Multiple inheritance -> catastrophe. Nice solved with interfaces in Java
47 > > If someone really is interested in understanding object oriented
48 > > programming then I would advise to begin with Java.
49 > I'd advise a proper object-oriented language like Eiffel, otherwise
50 > lazy programmers use Java like a strange C-Dialect (which usually
51 > results in Spaghetti- or Lasagna-code)
52
53 That could be true, but I think this danger is given in every language.
57 > > In my case I learned OOP in Java and could utilize it to C++ without
58 > > big problems. The only strange thing was weird language constructs
59 > > and discrepancies in C/C++.
60 >
61 > OOP is not some magic silver bullet that does everything for you.
62 > For me OOP always looks like functional programming, only the other
63 > way around, so I tend to do it in proper functional style. But that's
64 > just me...
65
66 :-) Yeah, I think that's really just you;-)
69 > > Please don't get me wrong.
70 > Oh comeon, if you give us such good material for a flamewar we can't
71 > just sit back and do nothing ;-)
72
73 I know and it's ok:-)
74