From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 1/2 OT: splitting packages
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 23:04:09
1 On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 14:25 -0700, Daniel Ostrow wrote:
2 >
3 > We release our packages as upstream intends. If they don't split them,
4 > we don't split them, talk to upstream not us.
5
6 Well that is not always the case. Not to contradict.
7
8 We tend to make packages in the Java world that are subsets of a
9 upstream package. In short it's because many upstreams bundle
10 dependencies. So we will strip out those dependencies and maintain them
11 as separate packages. Even though it was not really intended to be such
12 by upstream.
13
14 For example, take dev-java/servletapi ( really tomcat-servlet-api same
15 sources, soon to be merged with virtual ... ). Many packages ship with a
16 servlet-api.jar. That jar comes from Tomcat, but is not available as
17 package on it's own. It's sources were in a separate CVS tree with its
18 own build system, but as of Tomcat 6. That was merged into unified
19 source tree and single build system.
20
21 Upstream releases a project called Glassfish, that will eventually be
22 many glassfish-* packages. Although due to the size Glassfish is broken
23 up but there are not individual sources available per sub-project. JBoss
24 is very similar, and many packages use JBoss modules. Like
25 glassfish-jsf-api :) Mighty fun stuff.
26
27 We do try to get with upstream were it's feasible. But really much if
28 this is out of control in the Java world. I believe Maven is an attempt
29 to reign in some level of control, manageability, and etc. Among other
30 things.
31
32 Granted all this might be unique to Java. Since applications developed
33 in other languages, don't always have a binary release available. When
34 one is, rarely do they ship all the libraries in binary format they
35 need.
36
37 But packages do get split up even though upstream does not really
38 provide for such. I would not recommend doing it unless there is a
39 reason and need like on the Java front.
40
41 Sorry for length.
44 William L. Thomson Jr.
45 Gentoo/Java