From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: A Little Council Reform Anyone?
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 05:51:41
1 Tobias Scherbaum <dertobi123@g.o> posted
2 1246546445.6186.33.camel@××××××××××××××××.de, excerpted below, on Thu, 02
3 Jul 2009 16:54:05 +0200:
4
5 > Ned Ludd wrote:
6 >> I'd like to see the dev body have a year-round voice in the council.
7 >> Either via quick votes year-round on topics or simply by having
8 >> discussion in the channel.
9
10 > What I'd like to see for sure is a formal rule on who can decide to
11 > modify or change parts of glep 39. As it's the council's constitution
12 > somehow, we have two options from my pov (besides that a former council
13 > did decide the council itself can change it's rules): - a large majority
14 > (at least 5 out of 7) of council members needs to ack the change
15 > - changes to glep 39 require a vote with all developers participating
16 > and a large majority (2/3 or 3/4) needs to ack the suggested change
17
18 [posting to -devel only, as gmane has council as one-way, appropriately]
19
20 A vote of all developers is a bit steep, but maybe that's the intent. As
21 already mentioned, tho, it'd have to be a super-majority of those voting.
22
23 But the 5/7 supermajority rule for council to change its own constitution
24 is a really good idea, IMO. That's a 71% supermajority, and should be
25 enough, IMO. I've always been uncomfortable with the simple majority
26 changing its own constitution or bylaws idea, Gentoo council or
27 elsewhere. It's just too unstable for the constitutional level.
28
29 >> An EAPI review committee could work well also. As long as we could get
30 >> non bias people in there.
31 >
32 > I was thinking about that for quite some time and as long as we get some
33 > non-biased people in there we should try that as well.
34
35 IMO, the "official PM implementation required before final approval"
36 serves well enough as a practical cap on things, there. As long as that
37 is understood, and council approves a recommendation, then stamps the
38 final spec when implemented, an EAPI committee can't go entirely
39 renegade, no matter who's on it.
40
41 Plus, the committee approach was effectively what we did for EAPI-3
42 already, except that arguably council was too hands-on, and more of the
43 debate happened on the dev list and on council than was perhaps
44 appropriate.
45
46 We already have a list for EAPI/PMS discussion, and I believe
47 announcements and proposals can be made to dev (and/or council) lists
48 with followups set to dev, for discussion. If we simply use what we have
49 and follow that rule, those interested enough to debate it there,
50 effectively form the committee, regardless of whether there's an official
51 one or not.
52
53 What remains, then, would be for the council to choose a spokeperson to
54 keep them informed of updates and present the details. That person
55 should be seen as reasonably unbiased in ordered to make it work well for
56 all sides, and they should be given a clear mandate from council that
57 will effectively make them chairman of the committee, since they
58 represent it, whether it's formalized or not.
59
60 Then let that spokesperson present the recommendation to council,
61 preferably in written form, perhaps with a 10 minute verbal meeting time-
62 limit, with the details hashed out however it gets hashed out on the EAPI/
63 PMS list (council shouldn't need to interfere there, except by creating
64 the spokesperson position, with said spokeperson serving at the pleasure
65 of the council, so they can be removed and someone else appointed, if
66 deemed necessary), with anyone from that list, or dev, or user, able to
67 present an objection, again preferably in written form, with say a 2-
68 minute verbal argument meeting time-limit.
69
70 Then after the presentation, vote. As with EAPI-3, do it in two stages,
71 preliminary approval, then after implementation, final approval. Total
72 in-meeting time, x2: 10 minutes for spokesperson verbal presentation of
73 written position, made available X days pre-meeting, 2 minutes x N people
74 for independent support/disagree statements (say two people, 4 minutes),
75 one minute for administrative (transitions, etc), 5 minutes at final
76 approval for portage lead if he wishes, 5 minutes for voting. Total 20
77 minutes meeting time for preliminary approval, 25 minutes for final
78 approval, 45 minutes over two meetings. If it's voted down, it's sent
79 back for further revisions, and won't be scheduled for another chance at
80 council meeting approval for six months.
81
82 If the council members haven't done their homework and aren't ready to
83 vote at the meeting, it reflects badly on them. If the EAPI committee
84 spokesperson doesn't have the written presentation ready in time, or
85 can't manage his 10 minute verbal presentation, or if there's more than
86 2-3 people lining up for their 2-minute slot to oppose it, it reflects
87 badly on him, and the council should consider a different spokesperson.
88
89 Bottom line, IMO, the resources are already there, as are, to some
90 extent, the rules. All council needs to do is find and approve a single
91 reasonably non-biased person to be a spokesperson, and enforce the rules
92 on its own time, with everyone working together to enforce followups to
93 the EAPI/PMS list for anything coming up on dev of that nature.
94
95 > Therefore: push Sunrise!
96
97 ++ (I already posted agreement on prefix.)
102 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman