From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stabilization of Python 3.1
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 19:40:17
1 On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 12:23 AM, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis
2 <Arfrever@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Have any other distribution moved to purely using python-3.1?
4 >
5 > We won't move to purely using Python 3.1. Both Python 2 and 3 will be used.
8 Let me modify me question: Has any other distribution moved to using
9 python-3 by default? Because that is what will happen when you
10 stabilize python-3.1. You will move to it by default. Everyone who
11 installs Gentoo will get python-3.1. Everyone who has 2.6 will get 3.1
12 -- unless they take action to prevent that. That is the _definition_
13 of default.
14
15 For the normal user, no amount of documentation. I repeated BLOODY
16 *NO* amount of documentation will change the fact that the default is
17 "broken system" for a stable install.
18
19 Whoever suggested that python-3.1 should go stable immediately needs
20 his head examined.
23 Nirbheek,
24 Extremely Pissed Off At This Idiocy.
27 ~Nirbheek Chauhan