From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] format of files in /var/cache/edb/dep
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 02:42:05
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Thursday 13 May 2004 10:19 pm, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
3 >
4 >>Are you serious? Why would the format of important files used by Portage
5 >>change?
8 > because the current system sucks horribly
9 >
10 > ever wonder why portage can be so goddamn slow ? ;)
11
12 I was testing it earlier again my Perl dependency checker that I'm working on.
13 After deleting the contents of /var/cache/edb/dep, Portage took 42s to do
14 'emerge -ep xfree'. It then took 2.819s to run the same command again with the
15 cache rebuilt. My program took 0.981s to do the same thing while generating
16 dependency information directly from the ebuilds on the fly. Although, my
17 dependency checker isn't yet as complete as Portage's.
18
19 For example, if one package has a dependency of '>=package2-2.0' and another has
20 '<package2-2.3' and the newest version of package2 is 2.6, my program will
21 choose to install package2-2.6.
22
23 It can currently handle USE flags, auto-USE flags, (un)masked packages, and
24 virtuals (somewhat). It also saves time by not involving bash in the dependency
25 process at all. Instead, it parses all the variable declarations straight out of
26 the ebuild and does bash-style interpolation within the program.
29 Andrew Gaffney
30 Network Administrator
31 Skyline Aeronautics, LLC.
32 636-357-1548