From: Alexandre Buisse <nattfodd@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [gentoo-dev] manpages that requires dependencies
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 10:25:00
1 On 11/25/05, Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o> wrote:
4 > 25.11.2005, 0:58:28, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 >
6 > > On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 00:49:23 +0100 "Diego 'Flameeyes' Petteno"
7 > > <flameeyes@g.o> wrote:
8 > > | Hi everybody, a little question that I'd like to be answered (so that
9 > > | we can make it a sort of rule).
10 > > | How should manpages that are generated be managed?
11 > > |
12 > > | The common sense and looking to other ebuilds would say to always
13 > > | build man pages, but when it asks me to install something like
14 > > | docbook-sgml-utils, I'm tempted not to do that ;)
15 >
16 > > man pages can't be considered optional (despite what RMS says). They're
17 > > not fancy extra HTML API documentation, they're core, so they don't get
18 > > a USE flag.
19 >
20 > > Of course, if FEATURES were in the USE expand list, you could use
21 > > ! features_noman ? ( ) ...
22 >
23 > That is all fine and dandy, but if you search bugzilla for USE=doc related
24 > bugs, you might think twice before adding yet another inevitably broken
25 > thing
26 > to portage. docbook-sgml-utils & co. is extremely fragile and buggy thing.
29 Actually, every automated text generation tool seems to be extremely fragile
30 and buggy, see gtkdoc for instance, which also regularly breaks USE=doc.
31
32 About manpages, I agree that they are non-optional and should be provided
33 all the time, which leads us straight to the solution : have the
34 maintainer/ebuild writer generate once the manpages (they shouldn't depend
35 on anything on the host machine, right ?) and provide them either directly
36 in the portage tree, as many are under the 20K limit, or as a tarball in
37 distfiles. If the developer hasn't docbok-sgml-utils and doesn't want to
38 pollute his system with it, he could ask text-markup, for instance, to
39 generate the manpages for him.
42 Of course, this doesn't solve the problem of manpages whose content is not
43 the same everywhere (but are there some of these ? Or may be all of them are
44 and I completely missed the point of this thread ?)
45
46 Regards,
47 Alexandre