From: Marko Mikulicic <marko@××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Contribute many ebuilds at once
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2002 10:24:16
1 Jeremiah Mahler wrote:
2
3 >
4 > I imagine it as something where the user configures the
5 > minimum level of packages that they are willing to install.
6 > For example, a user might only be willing to install packages
7 > that are stable or rated 4/5 by 20 or more people.
8
9 I'm not sure that many people would like this,
10 because nothing stops someone to multiple rate a package.
11 (you can make it difficult, but not so difficult).
12
13 It could be good, and perhaps an option for
14 non production systems used to test gentoo. But I think
15 that a clean cut somewhere must be made. For
16 example all packages non labeled definitive are placed
17 in a category. When you emerge rsync
18 the files are updated and the rating is contained in the .emerge
19 "RATING = 5". You can browse packages, install them by hand,
20 but they should not be used as depend for a stable ebuild.
21 This way an administrator has more control over what gets installed
22 and it can be a bit more relaxed when installing official packages.
23
24 I don't know if this could be done better with masks, and here
25 I would like to hear more experienced gentooers than me.
26
27 I have felt the need of something like this because when
28 when I build a ebuild script and submit I have to wait some long
29 time. If a friend of mide needs this ebuild a copy it to him,
30 which then pass it to his friend which fixes a bug, then ....
31 in the mean time changed something .... chaos.
32
33 I think the more difficult part is to develop a policy, which
34 should not be too restrictive but should also be secure.
35
36 >
37 > I am not sure how to implement it yet. Where there is a will
38 > there is a way.
39
40 I'm more concerned with the requisites right now.
41 Implementation is important but you can't implement something
42 if you don't know what you have to do.
43
44 Marko