From: Roman Gaufman <hackeron@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rsync speed and space taken
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 15:20:09
1 >That is a terrible argument - patent violating ebuilds. The ebuilds are
2 >not the applications, just the instructions on how to download, compile
3 >and install on to a Gentoo system. So even if the ebuilds provide
4 >instructions on how to download them, I really don't think anyone could
5 >argue you infringed any patent until you downloaded, installed and used
6 >the application.
7
8 ebuilds that may have *potential* patent violation. -- Even clearer,
9 ebuilds that install patent infrinding software.
10
11 In anycase, what I mean is ebuilds like those that (optionally) fetch w32codecs
12 are downloaded by default along side new versions of the installed
13 ebuilds -- then the collected data cannot be used against anyone but
14 still be useful for general analysis and takes a load of the rsync
15 mirrors.
16
17 I wasnt serious about the suggestion either way though, hense the
18 smiley, so relax!
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list