From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: Make developer profiles more difficult to select
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 19:30:57
1 On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > Reading around on the net, it amazes me how many people are using developer
3 > profiles for their Gentoo because they think it's for software developers
4 > and don't see that it's for Gentoo developers and not intended for end
5 > users. They know the "Developer" installation profiles of other distros and
6 > think Gentoo's profiles are just the same (on those distros, selecting a dev
7 > profile just means it installs GCC + dev libs + IDEs by default.)
8 >
9 > Some kind of warning or other mechanism that does selecting this profile
10 > without knowing what you're doing would be a good idea.
11
12 I don't think the profiles are not intended for end users; if they are
13 only intended for developers
14 we could just exclude them from the rsync tree.
15
16 That being said I think it is fairly trivial to rename it to
17 'ebuild-developer'. Screw all these stupid warnings and
18 VARS_IN_ALL_CAPS>
19
20 Just name shit properly and I'm sure folks can probably figure it out.
21
22 I feel very badly for the 'developers' running with 'stricter' or
23 other insane portage features that basically make the distro unusable
24 ;p
25
26 -Alec
29 > --