From: Jack Morgan <jack@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Automatic testing on Gentoo
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 13:11:47
1 On 05/10/2011 01:13 PM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
2 > Hi.
3 >
4 > Another issue that was raised in the discussion with the arch teams,
5 > even though it predates the arch teams resources thread as we've talked
6 > about it on FOSDEM 2011 and even before, is getting more automatic
7 > testing done on Gentoo.
8 >
9 > I'm bcc'ing a few teams on this thread as it involves them and hopefully
10 > might interest them as well.
11 >
12 > Both Release Engineering and QA teams would like to have more automatic
13 > testing to find breakages and to help track "when" things break and more
14 > importantly *why* they break.
15 >
16 > To avoid misunderstandings, we already have testing and even automated
17 > testing being done on Gentoo. The "first line" of testing is done by
18 > developers using repoman and or the PM's QA tools. We also have
19 > individual developers and the QA team hopefully checking commits and
20 > everyone testing their packages.
21 >
22 > Furtermore, the current weekly automatic stage building has helped
23 > identify some issues with the tree. The tinderbox work done by Patrick
24 > and Diego, as well as others, has also helped finding broken packages
25 > and or identifying packages affected by major changes before they hit
26 > the tree. The use of repoman, pcheck and or paludis quality assurance
27 > tools in the past and present to generate reports about tree issues,
28 > like Michael's (mr_bones) emails have also helped identifying and
29 > addressing issues.
30 >
31 > Recently, we've got a new site to check the results of some tests
32 > http://qa-reports.gentoo.org/ with the possibility to add more scripts
33 > to provide / run even more tests.
34 >
35 > So, why "more testing"? For starters, more *automatic* testing. Then
36 > more testing as reports from testing can help greatly in identifying
37 > when things break and why they break. As someone that looks over the
38 > automatic stage building for amd64 and x86, and that has to talk to
39 > teams / developers when things break, having more, more in depth and
40 > regular automatic testing would help my (releng) job. The work for the
41 > live-dvd would also be easier if the builds were "automated" and the job
42 > wasn't "restarted" every N months. Furthermore, creating a framework for
43 > developers to be able to schedule testing for proposed changes, in
44 > particular for substantial changes, might (should?) help improve the
45 > user's experience.
46 >
47 > I hope you agree with "more testing" by now, but what testing? It's good
48 > to test something, but "what" do we want to test and "how" do we want to
49 > test?
52 > I think we should try to have at least the following categories of tests:
53 >
54 > * Portage (overlays?) QA tests
55 > tests with the existing QA tools to check the consistency of
56 > dependencies and the quality of ebuilds / eclasses.
57 >
58 > * (on demand?) package (stable / unstable) revdep rebuild (tinderbox)
59 > framework to schedule testing of proposed changes and check their impact
60 >
61 > * Weekly (?) stable / unstable stage / ISO arch builds
62 > the automatic stage building, including new specs for the testing tree
63 > as we currently only test the stable tree.
64 >
65 > * (schedule?) specific tailored stage4 builds
66 > testing of specific tailored "real world" images (web server, intranet
67 > server, generic desktop, GNOME desktop, KDE desktop, etc).
68 >
69 > * Bi-Weekly (?) stable / unstable AMD64/X86 LiveDVD builds
70 > automatic creation of the live-DVD to test a very broad set of packages
71 >
72 > * automated testing of built stage / CD / LiveDVD (KVM guest?) (CLI /
73 > GUI / log parsing ?)
74 > framework to test the built stages / install media and ensure it works
75 > as expected
78 > I don't have a framework for conducting some of these tests, including
79 > the stage/iso validation, but some of them can use the existing tools
80 > like the stage building and the tree QA tests.
81 >
82 > Do you have any suggestions about the automatic testing? Do you know of
83 > other tests or tools that we can and should use to improve QA on Gentoo?
84
85 You might take a look at autotest from kernel.org. It's a Python based
86 framework for automating testing. It's specific towards kernel testing,
87 but could be modified for your needs.
93 Jack Morgan
94 Pub 4096R/761D8E0A 2010-09-13 Jack Morgan <jack@×××××××.com>
95 Fingerprint = DD42 EA48 D701 D520 C2CD 55BE BF53 C69B 761D 8E0A