From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Beta versions should be slotable
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 14:04:21
1 On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 15:29:53 +0200 "Noack, Sebastian"
2 <S.Noack@××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 | I like to try bleeding edge beta versions. But I hate that if I will
4 | install for example the new firefox 2 beta via portage, it will
5 | unmerge the current stable version. I would prefer to have a stable
6 | version for daily work and the beta version for testing purposes at
7 | the same time on my system. Therefore I would propose to introduce a
8 | policy, which forces each ebuild with the suffix _alpha, _beta or
9 | _pre have to be slotable.
10
11 Too inflexible. Not all upstreams use sane versioning schemes. Now, if
12 we had slot deps, encouraging wider use of slots along with trivial
13 little eselect modules to handle the symlinks might be a good idea, but
14 requiring it is silly.
17 Ciaran McCreesh
18 Mail : ciaran dot mccreesh at blueyonder.co.uk
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list