From: Michiel de Bruijne <m.debruijne@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Removal of e2fsprogs from profiles
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:46:10
1 If I understand it correctly the profiles are used to define the minimum
2 requirements to install and maintain a Gentoo machine. If that's a correct
3 assumption I wonder why e2fsprogs is part of the profiles. I maintain a lot
4 of machines and none of them contains a EXT2- or EXT3-partition.
5
6 Why not treat EXT2 and EXT3 the same as every other filesystem and remove it
7 from the profiles and mention it in the documentation for example see
8 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=9#doc_chap4
9
10 Please keep this on topic and don't start a flame about a mandatory EXT2
11 boot-partition, because other filesystems are not stable enough. This may be
12 true for some filesystems but not for all filesystems.
13
14 How do I proceed? Create a bugzilla-entry for this?
17 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list