From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] doubtful about libjpeg-turbo vs. libjpeg binary compatibility
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 17:17:31
1 On 1/19/12 6:02 PM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > On 01/19/2012 06:56 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 >> that doesn't help. the libjpeg turbo peeps themselves have said they
4 >> don't
5 >> guarantee compatibility across their own versions.
6 >
7 > it's forward compatible, which is all we should care about
8
9 Just a note: that'd require me to DEPEND on a recent enough version of
10 libjpeg-turbo in the www-client/chromium ebuild, which would mean either:
11
12 a) changing the virtual/jpeg dependency to >=libjpeg-turbo-...
13
14 b) adding a versioned virtual/jpeg to require a recent enough
15 libjpeg-turbo (but then what about libjpeg versions - it can easily
16 become complicated)
17
18 c) similar to a) but also adding || ( >=libjpeg-turbo-... libjpeg )
19
20 With proper SONAMEs in libjpeg-turbo that would be a non-issue (bump the
21 SONAME on incompatible change, revdep-rebuild does the rest).
22
23 > the only thing that's really broken is building against libjpeg-turbo,
24 > and then switching to ijg's jpeg without rebuilding the package
25
26 I'm fine with not supporting that, provided keywords for libjpeg are
27 dropped (except the 62 slot iirc).
28
29 > and downgrading of libjpeg-turbo
30
31 I think this one should "just work", or at least not allow obvious
32 mistakes. See my a) b) c) notes above in this e-mail for possible
33 solutions and ideal SONAME.