From: Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for March
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 14:08:57
1 On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 7:10 PM, Anant Narayanan <anant@g.o> wrote:
2 > maintainers don't need to complete the staff quiz.
3
4 The staff quiz is focused on our general procedures and how to behave
5 and interact with other devs. It is a great opportunity for the
6 recruiter to get to know who he (no "she"s in recruiters, applications
7 welcome) is talking to. It's at this time that I have the most
8 interesting discussions with the recruit and learn the most on the
9 individual (s)he is. We had enough issues in the past with technically
10 good people who just couldn't behave that I think skipping this phase
11 is really not a good idea. Because, believe it or not, the recruitment
12 process in general and the review in particular are not only about
13 checking yes/no boxes about the recruit's answers to obscure quizzes.
14 Plus, practically the staff quiz takes very little time. With the old
15 argument being that if you can't spend that little time on the staff
16 quiz then chances are you won't be a dev for long, and thus not worth
17 investing time in.
18
19 > On the technical side, about the only thing
20 > they really require is a sound knowledge of bash, the do's and don'ts
21 > of ebuilds, and knowledge of how to use eclasses.
22
23 This is currently what the ebuild quiz is trying to be. I don't
24 understand what difference you want to make between a full dev and a
25 package maintainer when both will have to write the same kind of
26 ebuilds, face the same kind of issues and have to come up with the
27 same kind of solutions. And in in the end create the same risk of
28 instability to the tree, only in a more fragmented, thus less
29 controllable way (due to more clueless people for the same job).
30
31 > As for the privileges, maintainers wouldn't need an email account,
32 > commit access to portions not concerning their package(s),
33
34 Meaning that they'll be allowed to break only a certain portion of the
35 tree. That's OK with me, as long as it's not the portion I use. I
36 believe some people depend on gentoo. I don't see any reason to risk
37 making their life miserable.
38
39 I hope you're not going to take any of the above personally. My
40 opinion is we have proxy maintenance and overlays like sunrise in
41 place already. If they're not working properly I suggest we fix them.
42 There's no point breaking something in the hope you'll fix something
43 else that doesn't work. Go to the root of the problem instead.
44
45 Denis.
46 --
47 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list