From: Gontran Zepeda <gontran@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] IPv6 support in network initscripts
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 09:05:07
1 % On 2003-06-01 at 12:52:13 -0700, Matt Thrailkill wrote:
2 > On Sun, 1 Jun 2003 08:49:14 -0400
3 > Peter Johanson <latexer@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > I've never seen anything which actually sources rc.conf and uses the
6 > > PROTOCOL variable in any way. I have no idea why that's there. anybody
7 > > enlighten me?
8 >
9 > # Set protocols to the protocols that you plan to use. Gentoo Linux will
10 > # only enable module auto-loading for these protocols, eliminating annoying
11 > # module not found errors.
12
13 IIRC variables from rc.conf are made available in the environment of the
14 running init.d scripts by /sbin/runscipt. ${PROTOCOL} _was_ used in the
15 very early days to determine whether servers like xinetd were to be run
16 with ipv6 support. Support for this seems to have been deprecated along
17 with the system-wide use of daemontools, that good work and the original
18 ipv6 integration having been done by A. Gottinger.
19
20 It would be nicely consistent if you were to use this variable for
21 determining when to initialize ipv6 interfaces and services in the init
22 scripts, IMHO.
25 Gontran
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list