From: Jim Nutt <jim@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Point of fact.
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 03:44:35
1 On 08 Mar 2002 17:51:17 +0100
2 Erik Grinaker <erikg@××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > GRUB is far superior to LILO in pretty much every conceivable way, as
5 > long as you read the documentation and understand how it works. And when
6 > you do so you will quickly see that LILO is a child's toy in comparison.
7
8 Well, after many long hours of fighting with it, I've found one way in which GRUB is definitely NOT superior to LILO. I have a Toshiba Satellite 490XCDT laptop. I've just installed a 10 GB drive into said laptop. Unfortunately, the laptop BIOS has no way of enabling LBA for large drives. GRUB simply will not work on a drive over 8 GB without LBA. LILO works just fine. And I did try just about everything conceivable to make GRUB work, as I like GRUB. It just wasn't going to happen..
9
10 jim