From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] news item -- baselayout-1.x deprecation final warning
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 20:13:25
1 On 2013.04.07 20:36, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > We have continued support for baselayout-1 to baselayout-2/OpenRc
5 > migration for almost two years now, so I think it is about time we
6 > kill
7 > this off.
8 >
9 > Here is the news item I want to send out on 10 Apr.
10 >
11 > Let me know what you think.
12 >
13 > Thanks,
14 >
15 > William
19 <quote>
20 If you do not upgrade your systems to openrc-0.11.8 before it leaves
21 the tree, you may need to reinstall them.
22 </quote>
23
24 I think you mean
25
26 If you do not upgrade your systems to baselayout-2 and openrc-0.11.8
27 before openrc-0.11.8 leaves the tree, you may need to reinstall them.
28
29 The problem is with baselayout-1 and that's what needs to be updated.
30 The "you may need to reinstall them" is a bit over the top. You can
31 always pick up the pieces with a liveCD.
32
33 Do you need to point out that the old (" ... ") syntax will no longer
34 be supported, or do you intend to tolerate the baselayout-1 syntax in
35 /etc/conf.d/net and friends a while longer.
36
37 A friendly link to the update guide
38 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml
39 may be in order too.
40
41 I've seen many users on baselayout-2 with baselayout-1 net files. This
42 news item will bypass them.
45 Regards,
46
47 Roy Bamford