From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dirt: To shove under the rug or not shove under the rug? (aka another round of USE_EXPAND)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 13:54:30
1 On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 15:07 +0200, Thomas de Grenier de Latour wrote:
2 > On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 08:35:43 -0400
3 > Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Unfortunately, even trying to add -linguas_fr to package.use,
6 > > still results in the French language pack being installed over
7 > > the English.
8 >
9 > This reminds me bug #104573: it was the same problem where some
10 > LINGUAS="fr" users didn't want to have manpages-fr installed. The
11 > workaround used there was to add the "nls" USE flag. This way you
12 > separate the "do you want some translations?" question from the
13 > "what translations do you want?" question.
14
15 Actually, I like this idea. It isn't perfect, but it allows one to add
16 -nls for the package in package.use to turn off translations. It still
17 doesn't completely solve the problem, however.
18
19 The user in question has LINGUAS="en_US fr" but wants the English
20 translation. This would be fine for this user, but what if the user had
21 wanted the French translation and not English?
22
23 > But sure, it's more a workaround than an ideal solution.
24 >
25 > > For one, things in USE_EXPAND would need to be negate-able in
26 > > package.use.
27 >
28 > It may be a problem if an ebuild relies on the USE flags being
29 > coherent with the env var itself. I don't have example of such
30 > ebuilds in mind though, but i guess it could happen that, for
31 > instance, on one hand the LINGUAS var is used by autotools to
32 > choose the locales to install, and on the other hand the linguas_*
33 > flags are used to add some help files or spell dicts: this could
34 > result in some kind of half-translated apps, maybe even broken
35 > apps, i don't know...
36
37 I hadn't considered this situation, as I was stuck thinking of binary
38 apps (nwn and civ-ctp).
41 Chris Gianelloni
42 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
43 Games - Developer