From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding USE=udev to linux profiles
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 13:52:08
1 On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 9:47 AM Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 07/20/2018 07:55 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > >
5 > > While I agree that setting USE=-udev isn't the same as leaving it to
6 > > package defaults, you further claim that setting this globally causes
7 > > severe breakage in some cases. Can you provide an example of this?
10 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/640226
11
12 This doesn't involve USE=-udev, which is the flag we're talking about.
13
14 > Or see any thread on the dangers of USE="-*" which is dangerous for the
15 > same reason.
16
17 We aren't setting USE=-* either.
18
19 I get that globally manipulating flags CAN cause issues. And yet we
20 do it from time to time. I'm looking for evidence that in this
21 particular case there is a problem.
24 Rich