From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: removal of digest files from the tree
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 01:35:33
1 On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 05:08:42PM -0800, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > In order to trigger removal of the old digests, all that we have to do is add a
3 > file named manifest1_obsolete to the root of the repository. Presence of that
4 > file causes repoman to automatically remove the old digests upon commit. If
5 > people don't update their whole cvs tree then they are likely to miss this file
6 > which will cause them to generate the old digest files and add them back to the
7 > tree unnecessarily. If that happens then it's not a major problem but we should
8 > try to make sure that everybody gets the file in order to prevent confusion.
9 Related to the top level of the tree, can we get a release of repoman
10 that detects if a checkout is a subset only (eg no top level), for folk
11 that have subtree checkouts only? (Probably look for skel.*/profile
12 items two levels up).
13
14 > After we've added the manifest1_obsolete file we can either let the old digest
15 > files disappear gradually or we can actively remove them. It's possible to use
16 > repoman to remove them from a single package, from a whole category, or from the
17 > whole tree at once. The repoman --force option can be used to make it work
18 > faster by skipping dependency checks. If we want to actively remove them then
19 > the best approach is probably to use repoman to remove them from one category at
20 > a time.
21 I vote for actively removing them. I can do big commits like that on the
22 CVS server, and save the network turnaround time that would happen
23 otherwise.
24
25 > If there are no objections then I don't so any reason not to go ahead and add
26 > the manifest1_obsolete sometime in the near future. Thoughts?
27 Let's do it. I look forward to a lot less inodes on my disks.
28
29 Doing some rough calculations:
30 ~6700/12400 packages have only digests in their files/ directory.
31 CVS overhead removal from pruned files/ directories:
32 6700*5 = 33500 inodes (3 files in CVS/, plus 2 directories).
33 Removal of direct digest-$PV files:
34 25335 files, 1 inode per file.
35 =====
36 58835 inodes total
37 =====
40 Robin Hugh Johnson
41 Gentoo Linux Developer & Infra Guy
42 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
43 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85