From: Joshua Nichols <nichoj@g.o>
To: gentoo-java <gentoo-java@l.g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] seeking maintainer(s) for dev-util/eclipse-sdk
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 03:17:47
1 Hey folks,
2
3 Eclipse 3.3 has been out for a bit now, and 3.2.2 even longer, and I
4 haven't had the time to sit down to get either fully packaged. So, I'm
5 looking for someone to step up and maintain it.
6
7 So here are some details about the package:
8
9 * It is in dual-herd: dev-tools and java
10 * We work with other downstream packagers as part of the Eclipse Linux
11 Distrubtions project. Mostly, we share patches that make things a bit
12 saner in a Linux environment.
13 * The ebuild is pretty long, at 403 or so lines
14 * There's a lot of patching/tweaking going on. There's some 26 patches,
15 10 or so seds, and some miscellaneous changes that occur.
16
17 In addition to eclipse-sdk itself, there are a number of Eclipse plugins
18 in the tree. At this point, they've started to get a bit crufty. We've
19 generally been encouraging people to use the update manager for now.
20 Fortunately, some of the other downstream peeps have come up with a sane
21 method for maintaining plugin packages. But, we'd need to get 3.2.2 or
22 3.3 package before we can pursue it.
23
24 I did write up some notes awhile back on the Java wiki:
25
26 https://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/java/wiki/Eclipse_Maintenance
27 https://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/java/wiki/Eclipse_Plugin_Maintenance
28
29 I'm sure people are frothing at the mouth to maintain Eclipse at this
30 point. So, please drop an email to java@g.o, and we can work out
31 how to hand things over.
34 Joshua Nichols
35 Gentoo/Java Developer