From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] News item: Upgrading Apache from 2.2 to 2.4
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 17:14:15
1 Hi all,
2
3 After what feels like ages, we're just about ready to stabilize
4 apache-2.4. Since this is a major upgrade that in many cases require
5 configuration changes, we wanted to do a news item. After some
6 discussion with Lars (Poly-C), here's an initial attempt at a draft.
7
8 ===
9
10 Title: Upgrading Apache from 2.2 to 2.4
11 Author: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
12 Content-Type: text/plain
13 Posted: 2016-01-13
14 Revision: 1
15 News-Item-Format: 1.0
16 Display-If-Installed: www-servers/apache
17
18 Upstream released the 2.4 version of the Apache HTTPD almost 4 years
19 ago. Though many users have moved to other HTTP servers, Portage still
20 has quite a few reverse dependencies, so it took the small team of
21 maintainers until now to bring Apache 2.4 to stable. In part, this is
22 because Apache 2.4 overhauls some often-used parts of the
23 configuration; chances that you will have to make some changes to your
24 configuration are quite high. On the other hand, apache-2.4.18
25 includes support for HTTP 2.0, so you get that (almost) for free!
26
27 Rather than trying to enumerate all the differences here, we'd like to
28 point you to the upstream upgrading document, which can be found here:
29
30 https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/upgrading.html
31
32 For more information on all the new features, start here:
33
34 https://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/new_features_2_4.html
35
36 ===
37
38 Please use your usual 72 hours of feedback window fruitfully!
39
40 Cheers,
41
42 Dirkjan