From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] IUSE and LINGUAS?
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 05:20:14
1 After reading Donnie's interesting post about how to set VIDEO_CARDS and
2 INPUT_DEVICES in xorg 7, I wondered for a while if LINGUAS should have the
3 same treatment.
4
5 Defining LINGUAS variable would be useful to allow people to know whether they
6 are going to have special support for their language in a package, but it
7 would also clutter the output quite a bit. I experimented locally with kdetv,
8 that uses LINGUAS variable to condition .po files and documentation
9 generation in a predictable way (as in, the ebuild has to know which
10 languages are available beforehand anyway):
11
12 [ebuild R ] media-tv/kdetv-0.8.8-r1 USE="-arts -debug -lirc -opengl
13 -xinerama -zvbi" LINGUAS="it% -bg% -br% -ca% -cs% -cy% -da% -de% -el% -en_GB%
14 -es% -et% -fi% -fr% -ga% -gl% -hu% -is% -lt% -mt% -nb% -nl% -pa% -pl% -pt%
15 -pt_BR% -ro% -ru% -rw% -sr% -sr@Latn% -sv% -ta% -tr% -zh_CN%" 0 kB
16
17 What people think of this? Whatever decision is taken I think it should also
18 be documented somewhere for people to use.
19 Also, as repoman complain about linguas_blabla not being a valid useflags, all
20 the linguas_* useflags should be listed in use.desc (consider that it would
21 take a while, _if_ we decide to go this route, before all packages are
22 updated to do this, but it's silly to pollute the use.local.desc file until 5
23 packages are using a given language); the descriptions need also to be
24 accurate.
25
26 (sorry missing signature, I've broken pinentry and waiting for it to be
27 rebuilt by emerge -e world)
30 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
31 Gentoo/ALT lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list