From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [PSA] If you ssh interactively to git.gentoo.org (somehow) let me know.
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 00:57:31
1 A bit late, but this change is now live. Please contact me if anything has
2 broken.
3
4 -A
5
6 On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 10:34 AM Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
7
8 > On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 7:04 AM Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
9 >
10 >> On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 09:43:44 -0400
11 >> Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
12 >>
13 >> > He was replying to me. Your master connection will continue to work
14 >> > just fine, as I said in my previous message.
15 >>
16 >> I must have lost something in grammar, because no matter how many times I
17 >> read:
18 >>
19 >> > If you are authenticating that master connection as the "git" user, I
20 >> > suspect it will not affect you. If you are using it to push to
21 >> > gentoo.git, that is almost certainly the case.
22 >>
23 >> I interpret that as:
24 >>
25 >> - Anonymous fetch is fine
26 >> - Authorised Push will fail
29 > "If you are authenticating the master connection as the 'git' user then
30 > this change will not affect you.
31 > "If you are using controlmaster to push to git.gentoo.org, then you are
32 > definitely authenticating as user=git because there is no other way to
33 > commit to ::gentoo."
37 >> But I guess my mistake is in that we don't push with "user@git ...", we
38 >> push with "git@ ... ", and the SSH key is the gate keeper of "push will
39 >> work", not the UID.
40 >>
41 >> Right?
44 > A working ssh key for user=git is a necessary (but not sufficient)
45 > component of a successful git push.
49 >> So assuming you're using git@ for fetch *and* push, *then* it will
50 >> continue to work.
51 >>
52 >> Right?
55 > Correct.
59 >> Forgive me for any potential idiocy, language and remembering the
60 >> details of everything all the time is hard.
63 > I don't actually expect people to know these details.
64 >