From: "Rémi Cardona" <remi@g.o>
To: gentoo dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] X license cleaning spree
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 10:07:04
1 Dear all,
2
3 I've started working on one of my to-do items that is usually very
4 low-priority : cleaning up X-related licenses in portage.
5
6 This is one of the last remains of the Xorg split from a few years ago.
7 X being a big hairy mess, those who managed the transition a few years
8 ago decided that each X package would have its own license file. Not
9 being a lawyer myself, I very much understand why they made that choice.
10
11 Now that the very few legal issues surrounding Xorg have been ironed
12 out, we can safely clean up all those license files into one : MIT.
13
14 So here's the list of license that I'm planning on killing because they
15 are - word for word - identical to MIT :
16
17 fontconfig
18 libdrm
19 libICE
20 libSM
21 libX11
22 libXau
23 libXaw
24 libXcomposite
25 libXcursor
26 libXdamage
27 libXdmcp
28 libXext
29 libXfixes
30 libXft
31 libXi
32 libXinerama
33 libXmu
34 libXp
35 libXpm
36 libXrandr
37 libXrender
38 libXScrnSaver
39 libXt
40 libXtst
41 libXv
42 libXvMC
43 libXxf86dga
44 libXxf86vm
45 X11
46
47 And here's a list of packages that use one or more of these licenses.
48 Please let me know if/when you've fixed them. I'll open bugs next week
49 for the remaining packages, and I'll just fix the rest myself within a
50 month.
51
52 app-editors/emacs
53 app-editors/emacs-cvs