From: "Sven Köhler" <skoehler@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: strange gentoo shutdown sequence
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 16:11:13
1 >>well why is the shell inside my gnome-terminal killed (and restarted by
2 >>gnome-terminal over and over again) if i execute halt?
3 >
4 > Because halt also signals all processes, independently of init. Look at
5 > the top of /etc/init.d/halt.sh:
6 >
7 > | ebegin "Sending all processes the TERM signal"
8 > | killall5 -15 &> /dev/null
9 > | eend $?
10 > | sleep 5
11 > | ebegin "Sending all processes the KILL signal"
12 > | killall5 -9 &> /dev/null
13 > | eend $?
14
15 OK, but that doesn't make sense to me too.
16
17 I want to write a init-script to start/stop UML-machines. I wan't the
18 UMLs to be gracefully shutdown. I cannot take the risk of data-loss due
19 to an UML getting killed.
20
21 BTW: UML=UserModeLinux
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list