From: Rainer Groesslinger <scandium@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] enewuser() and enewgroup(), fixed uids/gids ?
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 19:14:51
1 Hi guys,
2
3 for some time now we have an unresolved issue with enewgroup() in the
4 eutils eclass (it fails when there is a duplicate entry in the group
5 file, see bug #36216) but that just as a reminder.
8 Currently, most (all ?) ebuilds that create system users are giving a
9 fixed uid in the ebuild for that user (just look at any ebuild creating
10 a system user). Some time ago there was a discussion in #gentoo-dev
11 about this and the conclusion was "it's rather bad" :)
12 enewuser() currently doesn't really support creating system users (uid
13 <1000) dynamically, in my case I am asking this because of the
14 dev-util/cvs ebuild which, unfortunatly, currently adds the cvs user as
15 a normal user but since I was adviced not to use a fixed uid that hasn't
16 changed as of yet.
17
18 Is there any effort to have a solution for this ? If not, how can I
19 "reserve" an uid for cvs just in case someone else tries to use the same
20 ? (After all we could ask ourself "Do we want to support cvs pserver
21 anyway ?" which would solve all problems if our answer is "No" and just
22 remove the cvsoserver related things in the ebuild :), but seriously, I
23 am a bit confused about this and since this is known for a long time I
24 am rather interested if anyone is working on this or if we stick to the
25 "pick a fixed uid and it's done"-principle.
26
27 As soon as we got that sorted out, cvs-1.11.12 will be in the tree very
28 soon.
31 Rainer
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list