From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Developer Retirements
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 18:44:57
1 I'm wondering what exactly is the harm in letting developers idle for a
2 while? While they might not be actively committing they are still
3 knowledgeable people that are just as capable as everyone else to push in a
4 fix for small packages. There's lots of bugs in bugzilla with items that
5 just need someone active to commit them. There's even a lot of these items
6 are filed by retired Gentoo developers who could have easily pushed this fix
7 for all users. The fact that someone only does one commit a year does not
8 marginalize their contribution. While it may be small it is improving the
9 overall quality of the distro. I'm constantly seeing developers getting
10 upset over getting pushed out.
11
12 What we really need is not a smaller, leaner development force. But a
13 leadership team that's smaller and more effective and willing to take charge
14 to get something done. I'm hoping that we can get away from the 6 month GLEP
15 process and towards something more streamlined.
18 Doug Goldstein