From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unique package names
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 12:57:26
1 On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 21:40:26 +0900 Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net> wrote:
2 | maillog: 04/10/2004-00:16:10(-0700): George Shapovalov types
3 | > However that may not be optimal as this will disallow duplicate
4 | > package names (which we *have* irrespectively of whether this is
5 | > good or bad).
6 |
7 | Isn't it about time to do something about these duplicate package
8 | names? Why not get rid of them, and then think of reorganizing the
9 | tree.
10
11 Great idea! I propose we rename every single package so that it is
12 prefixed by the category. So, instead of, say, dev-lang/python, we'd
13 have dev-lang/dev-lang-python. That way we wouldn't get any duplicates!
14
15 (Since at least one person is going to miss the sarcasm, a large part of
16 why we have categories is so that duplicate names isn't a problem. Since
17 portage now *tells* you when you need to be more specific, duplicates
18 really aren't a problem. Sticking prefixies on the front of package
19 names is just plain stupid.)
22 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
23 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
24 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm