From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [v3] Planning for automatic assignment of bugs
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 14:17:08
1 "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o> said:
2 > So this is now the third revision of this proposal.
3 >
4 > The first two editions are available here.
5 > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/48485
6 > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/49601
7 >
8 > Comments are welcome, as are offers to implement it.
9 >
10 > Implementations should be a small python or perl script that take a
11 > single CP atom an resolve it to an assignee, along with one or more CC
12 > entries. They may assume that an rsync tree exists at $PORTDIR (not
13 > /usr/portage, but $PORTDIR). Additional data files are welcome as well
14 > for special assignment rules.
15
16 My main question to this entire proposal is do we actually want to give
17 bugs that possibly have no useful information to maintainers? No script
18 will be able to replace people looking at a bug and trying to get the
19 user to supply information that will be useful for the maintainer of a
20 package. The whole goal of the bug-wranglers project should be to
21 provide bugs to maintainers that they can actually do something with
22 when they receive them. (Yes yes, you can say that this doesn't happen
23 all the time today, and you would probably be right, but that doesn't
24 mean we can't fix that problem. A dedicated group of people that follow
25 guidelines that we set up for bug-wrangling should improve the quality
26 of bugs going to maintainers.) Also, does anyone know of any other open
27 source project that does automatic assignment like this? I'd be
28 interested to see how they implemented it and how it works for them.
29
30 Maybe no one else agrees with me, but I think auto-assignment might make
31 more work for people that don't want to deal with bugs that say:
32 "sys-devel/gcc is br0ken!!!" and provide nothing useful to help us
33 figure out the problem. Its a good idea, but since our users don't
34 always provide useful reports, it seems like we are just shifting work
35 around.
36
37 Just my 2 cents,
40 Mark Loeser