From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] useless set*id binaries
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 00:41:11
1 On Friday 27 January 2012 19:18:07 Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > On 01/28/2012 02:14 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > along these lines, why is cdrtools set*id ? if we have a "cdrom" group,
4 > > and we assign our cdroms/dvdroms to that group, then we already have
5 > > access control in place and can skip the set*id.
6 >
7 > cdrtools can't probe the drives without the binary being setuid, or the
8 > user belonging to the 'disk' group (and even that is not enough in some
9 > cases if the permissions vary)
10
11 the drives are owned by the "cdrom" group and have group +rw. so if the user
12 is in the "cdrom" group, why can't they probe the drives ?
13
14 "disk" owns the non-removable hard drives.
15
16 $ ls -l /dev/sr0 /dev/sg0 /dev/sg6
17 crw-rw---- 1 root disk 21, 0 Jan 6 23:07 /dev/sg0
18 crw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 21, 6 Jan 6 23:07 /dev/sg6