From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reducing the size of distfiles for our mirrors
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 13:50:51
1 On Tuesday 22 July 2003 15:24, Rainer Groesslinger wrote:
2 >
3 > Perhaps you already thought about this but IMHO part of that policy should
4 > be that files which are stored on a network with a good mirroring
5 > infrastructure (sourceforge, kernel.org etc.) are never placed on our
6 > distfiles because it is very unlikely all 10 mirrors (or how many
7 > sourceforge ever has) are down and since the gentoo distfile mirrors are
8 > used before the
9 > mirror://sourceforge in the ebuild it causes more traffic to the mirrors
10 > (plus the space it takes) because nobody really gets it from sourceforge...
11 >
12 > I think we could save a lot of bandwidth _and_ space if such files aren't
13 > placed on the gentoo mirrors if not absolutly neccessary, I don't see a
14 > real reason why we need to put hundreds of files on the gentoo mirrors
15 > which are already stored on a very good mirroring system.
16
17 Although I privately like to have everything on the distfile mirror as that
18 WILL give me a higher bandwidth than sourceforge does, I agree with you.
19
20 I think we could start out by having portage not mirroring the mirror:/ url's
21 and in the mirror list provide an extensive list of mirrors for the various
22 packages. Then we can update the ebuilds to use the mirror url scheme where
23 aplicable. (For example for kde)
24
25 Paul
28 Paul de Vrieze