From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: FHS compliant KDE install and multi-version support
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 22:30:03
1 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
2
3 > The next step was to use a kdeprefix use flag[2]. This flag no longer
4 > touches the SLOT that is set to "4" for all kde-4.X versions. It only
5 > determines if the package will be installed under the FHS compliant
6 > location (/usr) or under the old location (/usr/kde/<version>). This
7 > however means the users will no longer have the option to have more than
8 > one kde-4.X version installed.
9 If that stops _all_ users from doing so, I'd vote against.
10
11 > I've been thinking on a different method. With this method [3], we would
12 > keep using the <major>.<minor> slots (4.1, 4.2, etc) so we also wouldn't
13 > break the invariancy. We would allow users to select whether to have an
14 > FHS compliant install or not (the way to allow that still needs to be
15 > discussed) and we would set the prefix based on that. In case the user
16 > wants an FHS compliant install, the eclasses would block all kde
17 > packages on other slots - except 3.5 (uses other eclasses) and the live
18 > versions (for the above reason that it will always be installed under
19 > /usr/kde/<live-version>). One way to decide whether to install on an FHS
20 > compliant location would be to add a use flag, but I don't think adding
21 > that flag for 200+ ebuilds makes sense as it doesn't make sense to have
22 > 1 version of some packages and possibly 2 or more of other packages.
23 >
24 Perhaps FHS is more of a feature than a USE flag? It certainly could apply
25 to other packages, and as you say adding and maintaining the USE flag
26 to/for so many ebuilds is a bit of a pain.
27
28 > So, what am I after in this email? After having an internal discussion
29 > and then opening it up to users in #gentoo-kde and a few other people on
30 > #gentoo-portage, it was suggested I sent a mail here to open this
31 > discussion to everyone and to present the case in a more clear manner.
32 > So, can anyone suggest a good way to accomplish what were trying to do?
33 > At least a better solution than the ones I've presented above?
34
35 Just a thought, but this sounds an awful lot like a prefix ebuild. Is there
36 any relevance from grobian's work?
37
38 Wrt to the blocks, it doesn't strike me that major iff the user has set FHS
39 in FEATURES (or w/e the mechanism is) since in that case they will be on
40 the "manage everything for me, for this install" track.