From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 00:09:54
1 On Saturday, April 09, 2016 05:15:08 PM James Le Cuirot wrote:
2 > On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 12:09:38 -0400
3 >
4 > waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
5 > > > I never really got the mentality that using an initramfs is a
6 > > > burden.
7 > > >
8 > > One more piece of software that can go wrong. You have to
9 > >
10 > > maintain+configure it; e.g. sync software and library versions with
11 > > what's on the rest of the system.
12 >
13 > Errm, have you ever actually used dracut?
14 >
15 > dracut --kver 4.5
16 >
17 > Wow, that was hard! It requires zero configuration and that's true even
18 > if you've got LVM on top of LUKS on top of RAID or something equally
19 > complex. If you're already running that kernel version, you don't even
20 > need to specify it.
21
22 I actually write my own initramfs because neither dracut not genkernel end up
23 with a convenient boot system.
24
25 I have 2 disks, both encrypted.
26 I prefer only to enter the decryption password once. Both Dracut and Genkernel
27 insist on asking for the password/key for every single disk.
28
29 The ONLY reason why I feel an initramfs is warranted is because of the
30 encryption. Without that, it should not be necessary.
33 Joost