From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: usr merge
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2016 15:52:38
1 On Thu, Apr 07, 2016 at 11:42:01AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 11:12 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3 > > William Hubbs posted on Thu, 07 Apr 2016 09:40:49 -0500 as excerpted:
4 > >
5 > >> After the testing period is over, I'm confused about why we should
6 > >> support both layouts. With separate usr without initramfs gone, the usr
7 > >> merge is transparent to end users because of the symbolic links in /, so
8 > >> there should be no reason to keep supporting both layouts once we are
9 > >> satisfied with the migration process.
10 > >
11 > > Because we're Gentoo, and gentooers tend to have rather strong opinions
12 > > on what sort of choices we should be able to make about things like that.
15 > I'm trying to think of whether offering a choice really costs us
16 > anything. The main issue I see here is that the compatibility
17 > symlinks only go one way.
18 >
19 > #!/bin/bash will work whether you've done a usr merge or not
20 > #!/usr/bin/bash will probably only work if you've done the usr merge
21 > #!/usr/bin/python will work whether you've done a usr merge or not
22 > #!/bin/python will probably only work if you've done the usr merge
23
24 That's correct, but you shouldn't be using shebangs like the second and
25 fourth ones now either. The standard shebangs (the first and third
26 ones) are fully compatible pre and post usr merge.
27
28 If people decide to start using non-standard shebangs like your second
29 and fourth ones above, that is wrong and should be stopped.
30
31 William