From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A new glep: Ebuild format and metadata handling
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 15:27:32
1 > Hello people,
2 >
3 > as the discussion about glep55 has gone in circles long enough I decided to
4 > collect the various ideas presented around that theme complex and compare
5 > them in a way that might allow us to reach a sane decision.
6 >
7 > Since it has become quite a lot of text I've kept some parts in sentence
8 > fragments and bullet points. If anyone feels the need to change that into
9 > more verbose wording feel free to do so, I hope the idea is clear enough. I
10 > feel it is still a draft and could use some massaging.
11 >
12 > If I should have forgotten any approach or misrepresented one I'd
13 > appreciate an updated or rephrased section so it can be easily updated.
14 >
15 > For anyone not interested in reading the whole thing, the conclusion is
16 > that we want to have the eapi in an easily parsed form in the ebuilds. The
17 > versioning rule change discussion (mostly glep54) should happen in an
18 > independent discussion.
19 >
20 > hth,
21 >
22 > Patrick
23
24 Thanks for that :)
25
26 I am so on board with nihilists' proposal but if this is not accepted, haubis'
27 seems the most clean solution to me.
28
29 I really dont like the idea of changing the file extension in anyway since
30 .ebuild is something that defines Gentoo. It is like changing .deb for Debian
31 :P. Somethings must stay untouched.
32 --
33 Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
34 Gentoo Linux Developer [KDE/Qt/Sunrise/Sound]
35 Web: http://hwoarang.silverarrow.org