From: bret curtis <psi29a@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposed addition to the Social Contract
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 23:23:30
1 Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Monday 26 March 2007, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 > [snip]
5
6 > Actually the situation is not that hypothetical. Some years ago the datacenter
7 > of the University of Twente (The Netherlands) was set to fire by an angry
8 > systems administrator. The building housed among other infrastructure vital
9 > to the university also some machines of great importance to the debian
10 > project. Due to a combined effort of suppliers, the university staff and the
11 > fact that they had a new datacenter that happened to be about to open, most
12 > things were up an running again in a few days. The thing I'm worried about
13 > most is insurrance. I trust that infra has backups of the important things
14 > like our repositories.
15 >
16 > Paul
19 Only wimps use tape backup: *real **men* just upload their important
20 stuff on *ftp*, and let the rest of the world mirror it. -- LT :1996
21
22 I have no doubt that Gentoo as a distribution can bounce back from
23 something catastrophic mostly because of how portage makes a snapshot of
24 the tree on everyone's Gentoo distribution at any point in time and same
25 applies to repositories and people that check them out. More than likely
26 we will loose some history and time but it wouldn't be a total lose. It
27 definently won't all go up in a puff of smoke.
28
29 That aside, does Gentoo have a disaster mitigation and recovery plan and
30 is it published? A cursory glance on google shows none available. I
31 haven't bothered do my own research, so by all means flame on, but does
32 the pont of contact for the domain name still alive?
33
34 All I have is Scottsdale Arizona and a phone number from whois, for all
35 I know it could be drobbins. :P
36
37 -- bret curtis
38 --