From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] New initscripts progress
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 18:37:57
1 Hi All,
2
3 I just wanted to let everyone know that the new in-development initscripts are
4 totally amazing. Right now, I have full dependency (need) support, meaning
5 that if you start a "netmount" script that needs the "inet" script, "inet" will
6 automatically be started first. And, if you then stop the "inet" script,
7 "netmount" will be stopped first! I have all these things working now over
8 here; it's a really neat system implemented completely in bash.
9
10 I plan to keep our current traditional "init" program, but we now have the
11 option of avoiding init completely except for the task of spawning gettys,
12 handling UPS power fail events, etc. I'm going to be implementing a new
13 "soft"-runlevel system that is independent of traditional runlevels. Using
14 soft-runlevels, you will be able to take a "snapshot" of your currently
15 running scripts and store them as a new runlevel as follows:
16
17 # rc-snapshot daniel
18 >>> Stored currently-running scripts as runlevel "daniel".
19
20 Then you can always return to the "daniel" runlevel by typing:
21
22 # rc-init daniel
23
24 While the snapshotting ability hasn't been coded yet; I don't expect it
25 to be very hard at all. I'm currently about to implement soft runlevels and
26 would like some feedback as to whether people are interested in this idea.
27 I'm personally very pro soft-runlevels, but I'd like to know if anyone can
28 think of any way that soft-runlevels could cause problems. Personally, I
29 can't think of any, just benefits.
30
31 Best Regards,
34 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>