From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: storing predefined INSTALL_MASK directory lists in repos
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 18:59:49
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > >> INSTALL_MASK="systemd bash-completion"
3 > >>
4 > >> What are your thoughts?
5 > >
6 > > It seems like this will generally duplicate all -USE flags.
7 > >
8 > > Would it make sense to instead have a single setting which changes the
9 > > meaning of USE to be that everything not USEd is install-masked?
10 >
11 > No, this would not be a duplicate.
12
13 I did generalize, but think more about this - certainly for both
14 Michał's examples I have already either set or unset "systemd" and
15 "bash-completion" in USE.
18 > Gentoo policy is that the mere installation of a few small and
19 > harmless if not used files should not be controlled by USE flags
20
21 Policy doesn't matter if they doesn't make sense. Maybe I am asking
22 if Michał's idea could be implemented by changing that policy.
23
24 An INSTALL_MASK setting in make.conf doesn't require recompile any
25 less than USE setting already do.
28 > install-mask is an existing general control mechanism fit for the task.
29 ..
30 > So the next step in automation and safety is as proposed here, provide a
31 > standard location for pre-created "safe" mask files that a user can then
32 > choose to activate
33 ..
34 > a less sharp and hazardous way of activating mask settings pre-cleared
35 > as "safe" by gentoo devs
36
37 The mechanism wouldn't change. I think this discussion is only about
38 having the most expressive knobs.
41 //Peter