From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: williamh@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: openrc init scripts taking command line arguments
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 20:11:19
1 On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 14:41:52 -0500
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I have received a request to allow OpenRC's init scripts to take
5 > command line arguments [1]. As noted on the bug, there are some
6 > advantages to this, but implementing it would have to break backward
7 > compatibility, for example:
8 >
9 > /etc/init.d/foo stop start
10 >
11 > would no longer work the way you might expect because there would be
12 > no way to tell whether start is a command or an argument to stop.
13 >
14 > What are your thoughts about this change?
15
16 As I see that the discussion is now in two places, I'd shortly repeat
17 what I said on the bug.
18
19 First of all, I believe that you are focusing too much on your proposed
20 solution and too little on the actual problem. For example, in this
21 mail the actual problem is just linked as a footnote. This means that
22 we are starting to discuss the solution not knowing what it will be for.
23
24 As I mentioned there, I see that the problem covers a wide case of
25 script 'multiplexing', 'templates' or 'virtual script generators',
26 however you want to call it. I don't really think command-line
27 arguments can handle that. They will just add complexity to the issue.
28
29 For example, how would you consider the state of such a script? Will
30 every status check require passing additional arguments? Will every
31 script using this technique be required to re-invent the whole
32 multiplexing concept?
35 Best regards,
36 Michał Górny