From: "vivo75@×××××.com" <vivo75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Enable FEATURES="userpriv usersandbox" by default?
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 20:37:33
1 Il 02/07/2012 22:01, Zac Medico ha scritto:
2 > On 07/02/2012 12:48 PM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
3 >> El lun, 28-05-2012 a las 14:34 -0700, Zac Medico escribió:
4 >>> Hi,
5 >>>
6 >>> In case you aren't familiar with FEATURES=userpriv, here's the
7 >>> description from the make.conf(5) man page:
8 >>>
9 >>> Allow portage to drop root privileges and compile packages as
10 >>> portage:portage without a sandbox (unless usersandbox is also used).
11 >>>
12 >>> The rationale for having the separate "usersandbox" setting, to enable
13 >>> use of sys-apps/sandbox, is that people who enable userpriv sometimes
14 >>> prefer to have sandbox disabled in order to slightly improve
15 >>> performance. However, I would recommend to enable usersandbox by
16 >>> default, for the purpose of logging sandbox violations.
17 >>>
18 >>> Note that ebuilds can set RESTRICT="userpriv" if they require superuser
19 >>> privileges during any of the src_* phases that userpriv affects.
20 >>>
21 >>> I've been using FEATURES="userpriv usersandbox" for years, and I don't
22 >>> remember experiencing any problems because of it, so I think that it
23 >>> would be reasonable to have it enabled by default. Objections?
24 >> Looks like non important problems arised and, then, these could probably
25 >> be enabled by default, no? :)
26 > I'm not sure about the best way to handle migration for directories
27 > inside $DISTDIR that are used by live ebuilds, since src_unpack will run
28 > with different privileges when userpriv is enabled.
29 tell the user to chown/remove the files/directories if and when needed,
30 unless there is a very good reason (try) to automate it.