From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: portage reliance on GNU objcopy ownership perseverance behavior in strip
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 02:02:41
1 On Tue, 2021-02-09 at 17:53 -0800, Fāng-ruì Sòng wrote:
2 > (I replied via https://groups.google.com/g/linux.gentoo.dev/c/WG-OLQe3yng
4 > subscribe to gentoo-dev via the official
5 > https://www.gentoo.org/get-involved/mailing-lists/ so my reply is
6 > missing)
9 Apologies for hijacking your post with a tangential question, but you
10 reminded me to ask: how did you notice this problem? Ultimately all
11 system executables (in $PATH) should be owned by (and writable only by)
12 root anyway; otherwise you get silly security vulnerabilities like "cat
13 ~/virus > /usr/bin/foo" as a regular user.