From: Martin Schwier <martin@×××××××.cc>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] default desktop profile
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 09:31:42
1 Hello developers,
2
3 today I posted a bug (187475) about a minor issue about the useflag
4 libnotify not beeing in the default desktop profile. Me was told that
5 this sould be discussed on gentoo-dev. I can't really understand why
6 such a minor issue have to be discussed among all developers as there
7 are certainly much more importand things to do.
8
9 Beeing a user I have the feeling that bugs concerning such minor issues
10 aren't welcome among the gentoo developers. I consider it important for
11 gentoo to regard such details too achieve a more polished gnome desktop
12 experience by default as we have now.
13
14 To come to the bug, I'll comment Jakub Moc's last comment:
15
16 > As said above - bloating default profiles even more goes to gentoo-dev mailing
17 > list, so that people could comment. I for one am already annoyed enough by the
18 > nonsense being added there, such as USE=kerberos or USE=ldap.
19
20 I agree that there is too much enabled by default, but other things are
21 missing. I personally need kerberos and ldap but that shouldn't be the
22 default for most singel-user desktop installations.
23
24 So, these are my proposed changes for the default desktop profile:
25
26 +bash-completion
27 +bluetooth
28 +ffmpeg (totem isn't much without it)
29 +libnotify (gives very nice popup notifications in many programs instead
30 of an annoying, workflow interrupting dialog box with an OK button)
31 +ppds (everyone has a printer, and this is needed to configure it
32 without further investigations. cups is already in)
33 +startup-notification
34 -fortran (not 1% of the desktop users need fortran and it speeds up
35 the compile)
36 -kerberos
37 -ldap
38