From: Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <Arfrever@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: devrel@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Actions of python team, especially Arfrever wrt python eclass and python-3*
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 14:45:23
1 2010-05-27 16:33:39 Thomas Sachau napisaƂ(a):
2 > Hi together,
3 >
4 > since i am not able to get any real argument or even discussion on IRC nor on this mailing list from
5 > Arfrever (main person behind those changes), i would like to raise the following points now on this
6 > mailing list as told on IRC, so he gets the chance to answer those points and to clear the issues:
7 >
8 > -major changes to python eclasses have been done without peer review on this mailing list.
9
10 There weren't any major changes in python.eclass in last months. In r1.96:r1.100 I committed a set of minor changes.
11 Some code was moved, which might cause false impression that there were some major changes:
12 - "MISCELLANEOUS FUNCTIONS" section (with 8 functions) was moved to before "FUNCTIONS FOR PACKAGES SUPPORTING
13 INSTALLATION FOR MULTIPLE PYTHON ABIS" section.
14 - python_pkg_setup() function was moved to "MISCELLANEOUS FUNCTIONS" section.
15 - A part of python_mod_cleanup() function was split to _python_clean_compiled_modules() function.
16 python_mod_cleanup() now calls _python_clean_compiled_modules().
17 - 2 loops in python_mod_optimize() were divided and some code was reindented.
18
19 > This includes pulling in python-3* versions
20
21 It's untruth. python.eclass or distutils.eclass don't enforce any particular version of Python.
22
23 > -A news item, which is only shown, once python-3* is installed.
24 >
25 > It is only shown _after_ installation of python-3.
26
27 You might file an enhancement request for Portage to show news items before installation.
28
29 > -Arfrever also said, he would add a seperate news item, when python-3 gets stabilized.
30
31 I never said it. The plan was to have 1 news item for all users, who have installed Python 3.1.
32
33 > Beside those points, one additional main issue is, that i and others dont seem to be able to have a
34 > discussion with Arfrever about this topics.
35
36 I'm answering to new (unanswered), rational arguments about these topics.
37
38 > He says, he has no time for it or says, that he already had shown arguments, but cannot show
39 > any evidence or just stops responding without any note.
40
41 There had been multiple threads about Python 3. Read e-mails written by me or Dirkjan Ochtman in the following threads:
42 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_115ce6fa1a09de286bf58db12df463c6.xml
43 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_814e67764c17f88bde94f22e9a392e4f.xml
44 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_2591c1b9a7e7b72383d3841bc05dc417.xml
47 Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis